8th Grade Washington D.C. Fundraiser
An NLS Tradition
As our students grow up through their years attending Northern Light School, they anticipate the time when they reach their eighth grade year. As 8th graders, students become leaders of the school by leading their own multi-grade level group in morning circle and organizing events for the rest of the school.
Their eighth grade year culminates in the NLS capstone trip, which is a week long trip to Washington DC with their class family. This trip is a time-honored tradition at Northern Light School offering each graduating class the opportunity to bond for one last time before heading off to high school. This year's 8th graders are looking forward to upholding the Northern Light tradition and experiencing the cultural opportunities provided by our Nation's Capitol. An experience we hope will last in their hearts and minds for years to come.
Highlights of the Trip
Our 8th graders take off and hit the ground running while in DC. They explore all over the Nation's Capital and surrounding area. Here are some of the highlights of the trip:
- Visiting Capitol Hill and seeing the Supreme Court in action along with the Library of Congress
- Smithsonian Institutions: National Natural History Museum, American History Museum, National Air and Space Museum, National American Indian Museum
- Kennedy Center Performance
- Tour of George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens
- Arlington National Cemetery: Kennedy Gravesites, Guard Change at the Tomb of the Unknowns, Challenger Memorial
- Monuments and Memorials: Jefferson and FDR Memorial, Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, Pentagon Memorial, Washington Monument, World War II Memorial
- United States Holocaust Museum
- The National Archives
- Battlefield Tour in Gettysburg National Military Park
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Dinner at Buca di Beppo with Northern Light School Gradutes who live around DC
- Colonial Williamsburg with Tavern Lunch and Lanthom Tour
- Jamestown Settlement Tour
Each year, the Northern Light School 8th Grade class raises funds toward this trip. Many of their fundraising endeavors include bake sales, school lunch sales, and dances for the student body. Fundraising as a class is an amazing opportunity for the children to learn the basics of money management and to learn the value of working together to achieve a goal.
While our student body enjoys the efforts of the 8th grade class, the 8th graders do need the support from the outside community to reach their goal! Through grants, the school is able to cover half the cost of the trip, and the 8th grade class works to fundraise the rest. This comes out to roughly $1,500 per child. For this school year, the 8th grade class goal is to reach $15,000!
Help Support the 8th Grade Class!
We are asking for your support in helping the class go to Washington DC in the spring. We know that with your participation in our fundraising efforts, we will be able to make a huge difference in the lives of our students. We are a 501c(3), so your donation can be tax-deductible. Our Tax ID is 94-3097690.
In addition to donations to our fundraising account, we are also asking for food, goods, and supplies for our fundraising events. For monetary donations, we accept PayPal transactions through the link below. You can also mail or drop off donations at Northern Light School located at 3710 Dorisa Avenue, Oakland CA, 94605 Attn: Genevieve Jackson. Thank you in advance for your consideration in donating to our Eighth Grade Fundraising effort.
DONATE THROUGH PAYPAL HERE!
Please note under "Special Instructions" that the donation is for the 8th grade Washington D.C. Trip. Thank you for your support!