Applying to Northern Light School
1.) Inquiry Form
All families interested in learning more about Northern Light School are asked to submit an initial inquiry form. Please include any specific questions or needs you may have. Our Admissions Director will connect with you and will know how to best assist you. Please fill this out prior to visiting our campus, as our Director often has scheduled tours and may not be able to accommodate drop-ins. We look forward to hearing from you!
2.) Connect with Us, Visit Us, or Attend an Admissions Event
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, our admission process for all entry points will be virtual during the 2020-2021 academic year.
For those that are interested, we can be available to host private tours on a case-by-base basis. Please reach out to Jill Diaz-Figueroa directly by email to discuss details.
Open House - This year, our Annual Open House will be hosted virtually and will take place on Thursday, January 7, 2021 from 6:00-7:00 pm. At Open House you will have the opportunity to visit with faculty, staff, parents, students and alumni. We will be holding small break out rooms geared towards specific interests and subjects so when completing the registration form, please indicate what you're most interested in learning about. Students and Parents are welcome. Register HERE!
3.) Submit an Online NLS Application
- Online Enrollment Application - Priority Round applications due January 19, 2021
- Include a recent photo of your child and family
- Submit $60 non-refundable application fee for first child plus $25 for each additional child
- Include a copy of your child’s birth certificate
- Include a copy of last two years report card for students entering grades 2-7, copy of kindergarten report card for students entering first grade.
- Submit a student self portrait for students entering grades K-8
- Submit a Teacher Recommendation Form to your child's teacher
4.) Financial Aid Application
- Completed Financial Aid Application (SSS) along with SSS application fee and supporting documentation are due by January 31, 2021 in order to be considered for tuition assistance by Northern Light School. It is critical that a copy of all supporting documents be submitted with the application. Tuition assistance will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are no longer available. Applications for the 2021-2022 school year will be available November 2020.
- Complete and mail The BASIC FUND application to address on application. Please review application eligibility requirements carefully prior to completing application. Completed applications including eligible financial documentation will be awarded first-come, first-served basis until funds are no longer available, anticipated to be March 2021. Completed applications submitted after due date will be added to a wait list with the possibility of being chosen through a lottery on July 31st. All families that fall within the income eligibility guidelines are required to apply for the BASIC Fund scholarship. Applications for the 2021-2022 school year will be available January 2021.
5.) Student Shadow Visit & Assessment
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, our admission process for all entry points will be virtual during the 2020-2021 academic year. We will not be hosting any on campus student visits or assessments. We will be hosting these virtually. More details to come...
What are Shadow Visits?
Shadow Visits are a part of the admissions process where students visit NLS for the day. During the 2021 admissions cycle, students will still visit but their visits will be virtual. Students will be introduced to the NLS community and experience a day-in-the-life of a Northern Light School student - including participating in Morning Circle, attending classes and interacting with the student body and faculty via Zoom. During your child's visit, they will be given a grade level assessment to determine readiness by the homeroom teacher. Priority Round shadow visits and assessments for the 2021-2022 school year will be held during February 2021. Every effort will be made to accommodate requests by parents for a specific date.
December 4, 2020
Application deadline for siblings
January 19, 2021
Application deadline for new families
Student Shadow Visit
Tuition Assistance Application Deadlines
January 31, 2021
SSS application should be submitted electronically.
Admissions Notification and Contracts
March 17, 2021
Admissions decisions mailed home
March 25, 2021
New families' contacts due by 10:00 am
We formally adopt and comply with all provisions of the current CAIS Code of Ethics.